Summer Quinoa Salad
As an OG gluten-free girl I've been eating quinoa for years. It's light but still keeps me full and offers a bit of protein for the days when I'm on the go. With the additional of some avocado and black beans this salad is packed with healthy fats, protein and fibre. This is one of my go-to recipes now and I usually make it on Sundays so that I have it on hand for lunches during the week. Based off the "Stuffed Avocado Salad" recipe by Angela Liddon in Oh She Glows Everyday, I've played with this recipe over time and it has morphed into the recipe below. Hope you enjoy! Bon Appetit!
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 cup fresh corn kernals or 1 can whole corn kernals
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup cilantro (optional)
- 1/2 cup green onion (optional)
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta (optional, omit in order to stay vegan friendly)
- 1/4 fresh lime juice (1 medium sized fresh lime)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- pinch of salt
- dash of black pepper
- In pot, combine 1 cup of quinoa with 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and let simmer until water has evaporated. Let stand 5 minutes then fluff with a fork
- Finely chop red pepper, green onion and cilantro.
- Add all salad ingredients into a large mixing bowl and stir well. **If you are making in advance omit the avocado until ready to serve to avoid it going brown.
- Mix all dressing ingredients in small jar or reusable salad dressing container. Shake vigourously to mix well.
- Add dressing to quinoa salad, mixing thoroughly. **Save a bit of dressing if you are not going to eat the salad right away. I find the quinoa soaks up the dressing once it sits overnight so be sure to make extra dressing so that you are able to add more right before you serve it!
- Garnish with cilantro and serve!